Dear Wawasee Families and Staff:
A respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, has caused an outbreak of respiratory illness and the United States has confirmed a handful of coronavirus cases related to travel. We want to assure you that our school district has been in regular communication with the Kosciusko County Health Department along with receiving updates from the Indiana Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). At this time, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Indiana.
Based on the current information, health officials are recommending local communities and schools take the same steps to protect against COVID-19 that are taken to prevent the spread of common colds or influenza:
● Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice). If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
● Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
● Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
● If your child is sick, please keep them home until they are fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
● Stay home when you are sick.
● Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
● Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
● Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Our health services staff, custodial staff and administrators work alongside each other in order to plan and respond to health concerns. Our school nurses and medical assistants, teachers and staff are working with our students to encourage these simple and effective habits of frequent handwashing, covering every cough or sneeze and cleaning tables/surfaces frequently. This is important not just to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, but to help prevent the spread of other infections that can lead to student and staff illness and absences.
For more information about COVID-19, click on the links listed below:
Thank you for your support of our district, our schools, our students and our staff. Sincerely,
Tom Edington Sarah Bauer BSN RN
Superintendent Health Services Coordinator